Gary Moyer, CACD’s President, Cindy Lair, Program Manager for the Colorado State Conservation Board (CSCB) and I met with our newly assigned Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) State Conservationist, Clint Evans, at his office in the Federal Center, in Denver. Some of the conversation included ideas about:
- the critical need for re-establishing a healthy and productive relationship between NRCS and the 76 Conservation Districts throughout Colorado;
- establishing regular working group meetings between NRCS, CSCB, and CACD;
- strengthening the District Technical Assistance Program;
- participation by CACD and CSCB in NRCS Area/District Conservationist meetings;
- assuring that NRCS has a bigger presence at our ten Watershed group meetings, along with greater support at CACD’s Annual meeting; and
- facilitating NRCS’s better understanding of the issues and concerns that the conservation districts face on a week-to-week and month-to-month basis.
The 2015 CO Envirothon Steering Committee has been working very hard on getting ready to meet with the Program/Resource Committee in a face-to-face meeting in Colorado Springs in March. The date and location for this year’s event has been nailed down as May 14 – 15, at Cole Park in Alamosa. If anyone is interested in getting involved with this statewide educational competition for high school students, do not hesitate to contact me. You can visit the CO Envirothon website at www.coloenvirothon.com
Gary Moyer, Bob Warner (CACD’s NACD Alternate) and I attended the 2015 Governor’s Ag Forum late in the month. Among other important Ag related topics, the State Water Plan was largely discussed, which CACD provides input on through the Colorado Ag Water Alliance group. The newly appointed Commissioner of Agriculture, Mr. Don Brown, was formally introduced to the group, by Governor John Hickenlooper.
Save-the-Date: CACD’s 2015 Annual Meeting dates will be November 15 – 19, and will be held at the Beaver Creek Hyatt, in Beaver Creek. We will be starting to form the Annual Meeting Program Committee, so if you would like to participate in the planning process for this year’s annual conference, let me know!
CACD Executive Director