CACD's 2014 Annual Meeting in Loveland, November 10-13th
CACD held its 70th Annual Meeting in Loveland, at the Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center. The 2014 theme was “CONSERVATION – TODAY’S VISION IS TOMORROW’S REALITY”, and our keynote speakers were NACD President, Earl Garber; Karen Budd-Falen, Wyoming Western Issues Attorney; Astor Boozer, NRCS Western Region Conservationist from Washington DC; Cindy Lair, CO Department of Ag Program Manager; and Randy Randall, CO NRCS Assistant STC Operations. Other speakers included Charlie Bartlett, CO Ag Water Alliance; Taryn Finnesey, CO Water Conservation Board; Terry Fankhauser, CO Cattlemen’s Association; Don Shawcoft, CO Farm Bureau; Bill Midcap, Rocky Mountain Farmers Union; and Aaron Derwingson, The Nature Conservancy. Former CACD Executive Director, Dan Parker provided a very nice invocation and tribute to our veteran’s, on the morning of November 11th.
During this year’s Resource Committee hearings, there were four Resolutions that made it on to the Consent Calendar, nine Resolutions that were passed in Committee with amendments, and one Resolution that came forth in Committee. All of the Resolutions that came out of the RC’s were passed by General Assembly on Thursday morning, 11/13, during the CACD Membership Business Meeting. The CACD Legislative Committee thanks those that Chaired and served on each of the 2014 Resource Committees!
Some of the conservation awards presented at the Awards Luncheon on Tuesday and the Banquet Dinner on Wednesday night were:
- NRCS Earth Team Award – Fremont Conservation District
- Conservation District of the Year – Branson-Trinchera CD
- Conservation District Supervisor of the Year – Ray Owens, CO First CD
- Small Acreage Landowner of the Year – Heather Riffel-Ridge
- Farmer of the Year – Nissen Farms LLC, Mosca – Hooper CD
- Rancher of the Year – Prewitt Ranch, Washington County CD
- Legislator of the Year – CO House Representative, Bob Rankin
- Commissioner of Agriculture’s Excellence in Conservation – Brendon Rocky
Overall, according to our after-the- meeting survey, most felt that this year’s conference was a great success. The CACD Board of Directors would like to thank ALL of those individuals and partners that volunteered countless hours to help make CACD’s 70th Annual Meeting a success!